Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Recent stuff...

Since most people read this blog from Facebook, it might not affect you, but consider this my first rant of 2011...

...ech-HEM...

In the past 24 hours, I've received TWO DCMA takedown notices for my shows. I've been doing this for a good number of years now, and have been recording my shows, and then putting said shows up for download. For those that have never downloaded one of the radio shows I do, they're non-stop programs, with me talking on the mic for a bit every three or four tracks. And all the songs are blended together, so you couldn't pull a specific track out of the mix. No different than listening to something on the traditional FM radio.

Both notices were for the most recent Totally 80s shows. This has NEVER happened to me before. Ever. Which begs the question, "what changed to make my programs get noticed by the enforcers of the DCMA?"

The only thing I can surmise is that it has something to do with me posting links on a blog run by the almighty Google...because this never happened on my other blog. Which means one of two things: either I stop posting the show downloads on this blog...or go back to the old one, hosted elsewhere, and continue on as before.

It baffles me why, suddenly, the show recordings are worthy of the takedown notices, when they obviously never caused a ruckus before. I begin to wonder if maybe it's Google, or maybe someone who has a grudge or something and has decided to do this out of spite and malice. I'm not sure...but it will not stop me from recording the shows and posting them for download.

At one point, I had thought about the idea of maybe selling CDs of my DJ mixes at events, just to make a few bucks, and I consulted someone at Metropolis regarding this. They confirmed what I had thought about the idea: I couldn't sell the mixes because I didn't own the rights to the music...but I could give them away as promotional material. Which is what I've been doing with the radio shows...they're available, free of charge, as I am unauthorized to sell the music because I don't own the rights to do so.

On top of that, when I went to see where I could make inquiries as to why this was happening, there's NO ONE that I can contact...they have phone numbers and snail mail addresses...and that's it! No way to state your case at all aside from taking a counter-notice out against the original takedown notice, which seems like more trouble than it's worth.

I do not run an illegal download blog. Being on various promotional lists for music, it's veritable SUICIDE for me to do so. SO what the hell...why is this happening now??!?

I know no one reading this would have any answers for me...I'm just vocalizing my frustrations...which hasn't helped my mood at all, as you can imagine...


No comments:

Post a Comment