Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Branching out...

For the past little while, I've been thinking about branching out, experimenting, spinning other styles of music. Just recently, I was invited to spin at a local event called "Dubalicious Wednesdays," which is hosted by Full Circle Events. As the name of the event might suggest, it's primarily a dubstep event. Occasionally they have DJs that spin jungle/drum & bass, but for the most part, it's dubstep.

I did a 90-minute set...and it was the most fun I've had in a good long while. And I hope to do it again very soon.

Does this mean I may be giving up EBM/industrial for spinning dubstep? No. EBM/industrial is my first love when it comes to spinning music. But I think it's healthy for any DJ to step outside his/her comfort zone once in a while, and give it a go. I keep an open mind about different styles of electronic music...EBM, industrial, rhythmic noise, trance, breakbeat, dubstep, drum & bass, electro house...

Below is a link to my newest DJ set on Mixcloud. Entitled "F1L7H," this is my first DJ set delving into what is referred to as "dirty," "grimey," or "filthy" dubstep...because, as it turns out, it doesn't matter what style of music I pick...it's all dark and gritty :) I invite you to give it a listen, and give your thoughts on it. I always welcome opinions :)

1 comment: