Sunday, March 25, 2012

Typecasting

[rant]

Okay...this is something that's been on my mind for a while now, but until recently I haven't bothered to vocalize it..well, put it to text, anyway. Until now. And this isn't a "oh poor me" whiny post...at least it's not meant to be.

I feel I've become "typecast" as a DJ...I know the word "typecast" is more for actors who are chosen for the same kind of roles all the time, but I'm not sure what the word would be for a DJ.

I mean yes, for a good number of years I've been spinning goth/industrial/EBM and the like...but over the last bit I've done a couple of  dubstep events in the city, as well as having various styles of DJ mixes available (EBM/industrial, dubstep, electro house, trance)...and I've been wanting to branch out and get involved in many of the electronic dance events in the city, but I feel I'm not really being considered because of being "typecast" as only spinning one style, and that's it. I've discovered, through experimentation, that if it's got a beat, I can spin it...

I have a retirement date of 09/11/2013...mostly because things are not busy this time around...at least three events I was hoping to do this year probably aren't happening for me, which doesn't really make me terribly cheery...and other events are not forthcoming for me, either.

Needless to say, the feeling that I've outlived my usefulness as a DJ gets stronger with each passing day...which saddens me, as DJing is my passion.

[/rant]

No comments:

Post a Comment